The Fall of Summer

On this summer-like day in Fall I mowed my lawn before an audience of ambitious hornets buzzing to gather all they could before real Fall arrives with all of its chilly down pours. This may perhaps be the last mowing of the year, but that is what I thought when I last mowed. We shall see. Whatever the matter, it was enjoyable exercise at least.

Not knowing when the last mow of the year will occur spun my mind in contemplation; we never know when the last time for anything will be. That being the case, wouldn't it be prudent to conduct ourselves with kindness, especially with ones we love? We hope to have a lifetime, but there are no guarantees. And if we spend our lives trying to speak kindly and walk in patience we may well live long and happy lives with few or no regrets. However, if we live life speaking our minds with no buffer of kindness or patience, whatever lives we live, whether long or short, will leave a scattered mess of regretful debris. Life is not a reality show. And so it seems best to leave the drama to the dramatic and spin a warm web of grace wherever one goes.

I speak of kindness and grace, of patience and bearing with one another, but I draw the line at chocolate. An unsolicited chocolate theft will be met with unnecessary roughness as the Pit Bull in me replaces the usual Golden Retriever demeanor.


I have covered the weather, animals, human behavior, gardening, and food in this blog. The vastness of my topic selection is dizzying, or perhaps I've had too much tea. Whatever.

For those interested, I have been exploring the various open mic reading opportunities in the Bellingham area - there are several options. I will post where I am reading and when on my Events tab once I get rolling.

Thank you for reading my senseless drivel. I shall drivel again soon.

Cheers,

Shai


Comments

Mark Henderson said…
We don't have hornets in the UK, though we have plenty of wasps. And brambles. Yessterday I spent three unhappy hours cutting the spikeful things down; the brambles I mean, not the wasps.

Your remarks about kindness and not knowing the future hit home. I've just returned from a delightful storytelling evening (at which I sold three copies of my latest book), whistling a happy tune, to be greeted by an e-mail from a dear friend telling me that her younger sister is dying of cancer. How dramatically one's mood can change in an instant... I must drop my other commitments tomorrow and pay an emotional-support visit.

We all need our friends and families, don't we? And our gardens.
Shai Adair said…
What sobering and heartbreaking news to arrive home to. Even the most successful night of storytelling and book sales loses its magic under such circumstances. May God bless you richly for what you contribute to the lives of others. They are blessed, I'm sure, to have you in their corner.

My sincerest sympathies,

Shai
Not able to mow my own lawn anymore but thank goodness I don't have to. I was always wary of those underground yellow jacket nests.
Shai Adair said…
Fabian, I have heard of people running into them with mowers - it is definitely an unpleasant situation. I have never encountered the ground dwelling sort and I hope I never do!

Thank you for your comment. I haven't seen your name in awhile. I'm sorry to hear you aren't able to mow your own lawn, but the bright side is evident as you described. :)

Are you still writing poetry?

Popular posts from this blog

Where Foul Language Began

Random Challenges in Homeschooling